The Merriam -Webster dictionary defined being thankful as one being conscious of benefits recieved. It also means one being happy for what one is about to recieve. It also defined it as being glad that something has happened or not happenedor that something or someone exist. You see I belong to a ministry called SISTERS’ FELLOWSHIP iNTERNATIONAL. This write up is not about the ministry noooo! But I can’t write on being thankful without mentioning SISTERS. This is an all women fellowship. The ministry taught me how to appreciate God and my fellow man. You see because the ministry is foundationed on love and appreciation we have different times within the year set aside for thanksgiving, these are January, June and December. We have been taught how to be appreciative even in bad times.There’s need for our lives to be one of thanksgiving, When I went online to research for this topic I was led to a site that showed me about seventy six quotations in the bible all talking about thanksgiving. Lets look at some of them.
- 1 Thessalonian 5v18
Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- Psalm 107 v1
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures for ever.
- Ephesians 5 v 20
Giving thanks always and for everything to God the father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
- Colossians 3 v 15 -17
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which i deed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and ministering one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
- Psalm 105 v1 – 2
Oh give thanks to the Lord! Call upon His name. Make known His deeds among the peoples! Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him. Talk of all His wondrous works!
- Psalm 106 v 1
Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever
- Psalm 95 v 2 – 3
Oh come let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving.Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.
All these just show that we are constantly suppossed to live in an atmosphere of thanksgiving. Ungratefulness is one of the world’s worst sins. We enjoy the blessings of life, home, friends, health and freedom of so many things and we take all those things for granted. Saying thank you Lord is usually an after thought. This lack of daily,weekly, monthly and yearly lack of apreciation grieves our heavenly father.
Reasons abound why we should be women who are thankful and they are;
- LIFE: We are always one heart beat away from death. The fact that we are alive in these volatile days is reason enough to be thankful. I live in Abuja and trust me this is no mean fete!
- THE BIBLE: Whether the world is black or white the word of God stands sure. Whatever the situation, the word in the bible is a refuge for the mind and heart. Imagine what the world would have been without the bible. We should be thankful to God for His blessed word that, “liveth and abideth for ever” (1Peter 1 v23 -25)
- SALVATION: My sistas see no matter what a failure we have made of our lives, we can turn in faith to Christ and find salvation. Salvation is free and it is for everyone on earth. It does not depend on how rich or poor you are. So my sisters let us be thankful that the “grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men” (Titus 2 v 11 -13)
- BLESSING: My sisters do you know that the poorest among us enjoy some good things – health, friends, some food, some clothes, sunshine, children etc. We need to daily emphasize these blessings more. You see with God’s blessings we are rich even when we are poor financially that’s why Proverbs 10 v 22 says that the blessings of the Lord maketh rich.
- TRAILS: It is hard to be thankful during trials but by faith we may know God loves us and then we can rejoice during tribulation. Paul said and not so but we glory in tribulations also. Knowing that tribulation worketh patience and patience, experience and experience, hope and hope maketh not ashamed because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. (Romans 5 v 3 – 5)
- FREEDOM: For having a land of liberty, we should thank God every day. Do you know the kind of violence that is being experienced in other countries? Everytime i watch the likes of countries such as Syrian, Iraq etc on CNN, ALJAZEERAH etc, I do not have any other option except to thank this great God for His mercies.
- THE BLESSED HOPE: Soon all these darkness, evil, bloodshed will be over, Why? Because we have hope that Christ is coming again. Philipians 4 v 4 – 6 says, “Rejoice in the Lord always and again again I say rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto allmen. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing but in everything in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be know to God.